Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

Our school

 

The township of Russell Island is located in Southern Moreton Bay, a short boat ride from Redland Bay. Russell Island is the largest of the populated bay islands. Neighbouring islands include Macleay, Lamb and Karragarra Islands. The Bay Island Transit System is based on Russell Island and provides a regular water taxi service to the islands. Stradbroke Ferries provide the vehicular barge service to the bay islands.

Russell Island State School opened on January 24 1916. Our early records show that seventeen children from eight families attended during the first year. The original building was removed from Pine Ridge (near Southport) and was only 21 feet by 14 feet (6.4m by 4.3m) in size. The first head teacher was Miss Eileen Willes who was just over 17 years old on the first day of school.

In 1927 the school was moved to its current site due to a majority vote by the residents of the northern end of the island. The same building stands today, with additions and repairs having been carried out over the years.

 

Russell Island State School continues to provide a valued educational service to the community and is a significant part of the history of the Redlands area.